How to get the best out of your visit to FineBushPeople.
Which Browser you should use
This site works best with a modern, standards compliant, browser. Not Internet Explorer (not even IE6.x). If you are using IE, visit www.mozilla.org and download Firefox (only 4MB). Then visit this site again and see the difference.
Other reasons to switch to Firefox (or almost any other browser, especially the open source ones) are:
- Better security, less risk of identity theft, virus infection or compromises of your PC
- Tabbed Browsing - with a middle-click you can open links in the background in new tabs without having new browser windows pop up over the one you are using. This is very efficient when searching on Google.com
- Pop-up blocking capabilities built in
- Proper refresh functionality - no secret caches holding your personal data and old versions of websites to dish up even after you click the reload button
- Better support for XHTML and CSS, which means that you can get the benefit of websites that are more efficient, quicker to download, and have more advanced features
- Full compatibility with other MS Windows software - you can still keep IE or any other browsers. If you want to uninstall, Firefox will delete itself completely - no ifs, ands or buts.
- You don't use MS Paint to touch up your digital photos - even though it comes pre-installed. So why should you use Internet Explorer to browse when there are free and better alternatives?
I developed this site using Slackware Linux 9.1 with gVIm and Perl. The server runs FreeBSD and Apache. We have no virus downtime, and the server has been up continuously for as long as I have been in business.
Notice About Links
To make your web-surfing on our site pleasant and easy, and to return browsing control to the user, we use the following policy with links that go off our site:
- All links open in the same window. This allows you to decide if you want to open the link in the same window or in a new tab (if you are using a modern browser such as Mozilla, Firefox or Opera)
- Some links to other sites open a new browser window. You can notice this by looking at your "taskbar" and seeing a new browser task running. This is a legacy issue and will gradually disappear as we update portions of the site.
- To carry on surfing on FineBushPeople, you can close the new browser window with the linked site, or you can switch to the old browser window (or tab) at any time. (Switch between the two windows or tabs while you wait for the other one to download, to speed up your surfing by downloading multiple sites at once.
- Pages within FineBushPeople all have the navigation bar on the right that allows you to jump to various parts of the site.
- We have tried to present pictures on this site in a reduced format to speed up download times. If the corner of the picture is turned up, with a file size written in it, or (more recently) the image is a link, it means that a larger version of that picture is available. Click on the picture to go to the enlarged version. The download time depends on the size of the enlargement, which is the size given under the curled up picture corner.
- You can save a picture to your hard disk by right-clicking on it and selecting the "Save Picture As" menu item.
- If you are searching for particular information, use the field at the top right of the navigation bar on each page to enter your keyword(s) and click on the "Search" button.
- Multiple search words should be separated with a space.
- If the selected document is large, use the Find command from the menu to further locate your information within that page.
- The search engine will search all pages on all sub-directories of the site. You may find delightful results, such as links to sites we are hosting that may have little to do with FineBushPeople.
- Be aware of the fact that the 'Print' or 'Save as File' option cannot be selected until the document and all it's graphics are fully downloaded from the internet. So if these options are 'greyed-out', simply wait till the downloading has finished.