Help - How to Shop
You can pay by cheque, cash, bank transfer, Visa or MasterCard. We ship by Air or Surface mail (slower, but cheap and eco-friendly).
First, this site is on a secure server, and all your personal and credit card details are encrypted at all times.
To find out shipping costs, just add an item to your basket and it will automatically show shipping costs to the country you specify.
- Add things you want to order to the shopping basket.
- Go to "Checkout"
- Check and adjust quantities in the basket
- Enter the address to send the shopping to (by Airmail or Surface mail)
- Choose the payment method (Visa, MasterCard, Cash, Cheque or transfer)
- Wait for your goodies to arrive
Overall Process of Ordering From the Farm Store
Browse the pages in the store catalog. When you see an item you like, add it to your shopping basket by clicking the "Add to Basket" button below it. One item will be added to your shopping basket. The text beneath the button will show you how many of those items you have in your basket. To add more items, just click the button again.
The shopping cart on the left keeps a running tab of what you have picked up, and how much it will cost.
You can go to any catalog page by selecting it from the links at the top of the page. This help page is one of them.
At any time, you can choose to go to the checkout counter. All you need to do is click the checkout button on the shopping basket in the bar on the right. At the checkout counter you can change the quantities of items in your basket or remove them altogether. Next you will need to provide a shipping address and payment details.
You will know that your order is complete when you get a confirmation screen telling you that the order has been accepted, and you will also receive an email with your order details.
For your convenience, there are several ways to pay for your order:
- Visa or Master Card, Diner's Club Card or American Express - our preferred means of payment, since it is safe, quick, cheap and convenient.
There are several ways to get your credit card number to us safely:
- Use the checkout form to enter your card details on our check-out page. This is the safest way - your details are encrypted and you perform the transaction directly with the bank - we don't even get to see your card number. This is our preferred mechanism.
- Send your card details to us by fax, to +27 83 118 309 6079
- Phone us directly at +27 83 448 2603
By far the safest method is the first option. If you fax or phone the number through, we end up writing it down on paper or storing it unencrypted, and treating it separately to all our other customers (and thus more likely to lose it). Given that your card number is encrypted at all times on the web, to the point that we don't even know what it is, you are better off using the web. The real risk with web transactions is that you don't know who you are dealing with on the other end - and that's us! If you don't trust us, faxing your card number to us is as dangerous as any other method!
- Send us cash, a cheque or transfer the money directly into our account. Details on this option are on the checkout and order forms. Due to the high cost of such transactions, we add these transaction fees to your final total.
Regrettably, we have no way of cashing in postal orders unless they are from the South African Post Office.
When you choose the country to ship to on the shopping basket in the bar on the right, all prices will be converted to a suitable currency. Right now, the currencies that the store recognizes are:
|Rand (ZAR)||Southern Africa|
|British Pounds||United Kingdom|
|US Dollar||All other countries|
Of course, we end up exchanging all currencies for South African Rands, because that's where we live. We are quite happy if you pay in other currencies, as long as the value is the same as the order amount on the invoice.
If you pay by cheque or cash
If you are not in the United States, you need not get a cheque in US Dollars - South African Rands or any other currency would do just as well.
If you pay by card
We convert the quoted amounts to South African Rands when doing the card transactions. It is difficult to predict exactly how much the amount in Rands comes to (because banks charge commission and the selling price of currencies is not the same as the buying price (can you understand that, I can't?!?). You will find the amount on your card statement will differ slightly (but usually ends up less).
There are three shipping options available to you if you do not live in South Africa:
- Air Mail - all items are sent by Air Mail. This is the fastest option but can be very expensive for bulky or heavy items such as fertilizer or wind chimes. Delivery takes between 1 to 2 weeks.
- Surface Mail - all items are sent by Surface Mail. This is the slowest and cheapest option. Delivery can take anything from 4 to 8 weeks.
- Mixed Mail - Seeds and Smoke Primer are sent by Air Mail, and bulky items such as fertilizer and wind chimes are sent by Surface Mail. This is the best value, and allows you to start planting as soon as possible while waiting for the less urgent items to arrive. Note that the items that will be sent by surface mail with this option are marked in the catalog as "heavy".
We avoid using overnight courier services, because the cost to the environment is too high.
If you experience difficulties
At any time, you can email the webmaster for advice, help, to cancel, change, or confirm an order.